Dinghy Learn To Sail (LTS) 1 program
At Narrabeen Lakes, we pride ourselves on being a family-orientated club with a key purpose of inviting newcomers to join us in the sport we love so much.
We offer a LTS 1 program for children who are new to sailing and - because we don't want Mum and Dad to miss out - we also offer two LTS sessions for the parents of the children enrolled!
- LTS 1 sailors must be aged 8 or over, and be competent in the water
- There are 15 places available in LTS 1, and places are allocated on a first-come basis
- Sailors have access to club-owned Sabots and Optimists during the LTS 1 sessions
- All LTS juniors and at least one parent must be financial members of NLSC. The additional LTS fee of $75 per child covers the cost of NLSC purchasing and maintaining club boats and equipment for LTS use and subsidises the costs for junior instructors to undertake Australian Sailing (formerly Yachting Australia) Dinghy Instructor Accreditation. The services that our Senior and Junior instructors provide to LTS children are done so on a volunteer basis
- 21st August - Participant forms MUST be returned by this date to membership officer to confirm a place in LTS trial session.
- 25th September - Trial session: Children enrolled in LTS for the first time are required to attend a trial session on 25th August at 9.30am, unless discussed prior with Membership Officer. See 'How to register' at the bottom of this page.
- 02nd October - Membership fees for confirmed LTS sailors must be paid by this date.
- 09th October - Parents LTS: The parents of LTS children who are club members enrolled in the 2016 LTS program are entitled to a free LTS Adult sailing session. This session is provided by experienced club members on a volunteer basis and is conducted in private and club-owned boats (usually the Heron class). Booking into this sessions is essential, and any adult undertaking water activities must take out the Senior Membership (not Social Membership) to accompany the Junior Membership.
- Starting 16th October - LTS 1 sessions: There are 8 LTS 1 sessions between September and December 2016. Please refer to the Sailing Calendar for dates.
What happens at LTS?
LTS sessions are held irrespective of the weather. On days when the weather is not appropriate for sailing, theory lessons are held in the clubhouse.
The LTS program is structured in such a way that each week builds on the skills the children learnt in previous sessions. The program runs for 6-8 weeks on Sundays between September and December.
A crucial element of each LTS session is rigging the boats and then unrigging, washing and packing them away at the end of the session. Our coaches will teach the sailors how to do all this, and it is the responsibility of the sailors and their parents to set-up and pack away the boats and equipment they use. We encourage, as much as possible, the children to do the work with the parents there to provide assistance and to ensure their safety.
9.15am – on the beach, rigging boats
9.45am – briefing by coaches
10.00am – on the water for LTS session
11.00am – all LTS sailors back on the beach. All LTS 1 sailors and their parents are required to un-rig and wash down their boats, and stack them away in the clubhouse.
11.45am – LTS debrief and lunch. A de-brief is held for all LTS sailors and their families to discuss the session’s activities and outcomes. It’s also the perfect opportunity to stick around to chat and make friends over an early lunch.
Is there a waiting list if I miss out?
Yes. All prospective LTS members must complete the Participant Form. Following the trial session, we can offer 15 places for the LTS 1 program. These places are allocated on a first-come basis and are confirmed after the trial session.
Next steps after LTS
How to register for LTS
|Step 1||All prospective members must complete the NLSC Participant Form and email to the membership officer before 21 August 2016.|
|Step 2||The Membership Officer will contact you to book your child into the LTS 1 Trial Session.|
|Step 3||Following the trial session, if you intend to enrol in the 2016 LTS program, we will register you and arrange payment before 02nd October to secure your place.|